HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 1

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 16:24:09 EST
Patrick Santucci writes:

> Well, I'm in Atlanta next week attending Allbase class at HP. I've
>  switched to digest mode so my mailbox doesn't overwhelm me when I get
>  back. :) Anything else I should do? Any sights to see while I'm there?

If you're a programmer, the Coke Museum is nearly a shrine :-). Most software
could never have been written without an ocean of coke (or Jolt Cola) flowing
through the coder's veins.

More seriously, the [Martin Luther] King Center is truly worth visting. Also
Zoo Atlanta is surprisingly good. Atlanta's zoo has gone in just a very few
years from one of the nation's worst to one of its best -- and now has a
particularly excellent gorilla colony. Also, directly adjacent to the zoo's
grounds is a Civil War museum (name unremembered), but a museum I've always
enjoyed re-visiting.

Ground transportation is quite excellent in Atlanta. MARTA is Atlanta's BART-
like system and I've always found it quite usable. Quite often, I don't even
feel the need to rent a car if I'm visiting a customer in the downtown area.
MARTA terminates at the airport and covers a significant part of Atlanta
proper (besides, downtown Atlanta has some of the worst traffic in the
country), however, MARTA won't get you out to where the HP offices are. You
will need a car for that.

Wirt Atmar