HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 1

From:
Patrick Santucci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Santucci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 12:21:01 -0600
Joshua Johnson wrote:

> I am using the volume management UDC's from HP's web sight. I ran into a
> problem that resulted in a BULDJOB1 purgeing the PUB group in a account
> which purged all of the files that were not being accessed, including my
> databases. The problem seems to be that the NEWACCT udc executed but did not
> generate a CIERROR when the account already existed. So when the BULDJOB1
> checked for CIERROR=0 it was true and it did a PURGEGROUP PUB.<account>.
>
> Has anyone else run into this problem? Jeff Vance if you get this can you
> email me so we may discuss this further. I would like to discuss writing a
> fix for this problem, thank you.

I have run into this problem as well. The volume management udc's seem
to be incompatible with BULDJOB1. I make a point to do a SETCATALOG
UDCVOL.PUB.SYS;SYSTEM;DELETE before running BULDJOB1 for this reason.

We have another problem here as well. We have a couple of accounts that
exist across multiple private volume sets. This is because each business
unit purchased their own drives at different times, so some are RAID
drives and some use Mirror/iX. Since AFAIK you can't combine mirrored
and RAID drives in the same volume set, we had to create volume sets
with names like "ABC_SET" and "ABC_SET_2" (note: not actual names) for
one account. Occasionally we have to move groups from one volume set to
another within the same account, and the easiest way is to use BULDACCT
with the VS= and FROMVS= options, deleting the groups from the resultant
BULDJOB1 that we *don't* want to move. Timing becomes crucial: you can
use the PURGEGROUP udc to purge the groups from the old volume set, but
don't want to run the BULDJOB1 job until you've disabled the PURGEGROUP
udc. Then when you SETCATALOG UDCVOL.PUB.SYS;SYSTEM;APPEND, you also
have to purge ACCTUVOL.PUB.SYS and rerun BLDUVOL or your ACCTUVOL file
is wrong.

It would also be helpful, in our situation anyway, if you could specify
one group or a list of groups in your BULDACCT command to make it easier
to move only selected groups in an account from one volume set to
another.

Patrick
--
Patrick Santucci