HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 1

From:
Art H Bahrs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Art H Bahrs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 10:33:13 -0800
Hi David :)
    Ok.... I used to run a shop that did just what you want to do :)

    First of all we had custom wirable (is that a word? hehe) RJ-45 to DB9
or DB25 connectors that were at the PC and attached to the serial port
(hence the need for both DB9 and DB25 converters....  We then had wiring
(cat-3 it was done in 1991) thru the wall to 110 patch panels (It was done
before I was there ... not my fault! hehe) and cables (25 pair plenum with
those big connectors... name escapes me now!) running between the computer
center and the 110 patch panels and used "Octopus cables" to connect these
25 pair cables to the DTC's (we had a mixture of the ADP (3 conductor) and
DB25 connectors on the DTC's)

   System worked great and I had HP custom wire the 25 pair cables for
me... Kelvin Lamb of the HP Portland Office handled the wiring and it went
flawlessly!  (but then Kelvin's work always does!)  the Octopus cables were
also wired custom for me... You can contact Art Frank (he replaced me at
this site... poor devil!) and he is lurking on this list!!! for the wiring
diagram's for these cables :) :) I know I left them in the "HP Move Folder"
from 1993 (Art ... this is a hint hehehe)

   This was a low tech solution that allowed both terminals and PC's to
talk to the HP 3k (957) at upto 19.2 kb!  and didn't need the network!!!
We later were moving to network connections :)

Art "no longer having to wire hehehe" Bahrs

OK, time to show my ignorance once again...  :-(

During the end of next week we will be relocating our corporate
offices into a new facility.  We have had CAT-5 wire installed in the
new building w/ a patch panel in anticipation of installing a
network.  All the cabling has RJ-45 connectors.  Unfortunately, at
the last second, the "powers that be" decided that the network would
happen later, not now.  (Don't ask!)

So... I'm sitting here with a bunch of PCs currently "direct-
connected" to our DTC/HP3K with a cable running from each PC to the
DTC.  (We also have a couple of terminals, too!)  Each PC currently
has a connector that converts from the 9-pin PC connector to the 25-
pin connector on the cable.  (Likely irelevent, but I thought I'd
through it in just to make my message a bit longer.)  Our DTC also
has 25-pin connectors.  (Yes, it's been around a while!)

My desire (and assumption) is to use the CAT-5 cable we've installed
in the new facility instead of the current cables.  I plan to use a
short cable between PC and wall.  This will get the signal to the
patch panel.  I'd then run a cable from the patch panel to the DTC.
The problem is what connectors to get, and where to get them.  I
believe all the new cabling has been wired "straight thru", so I
presume I need a connector somewhere in the line that will swap pins
2 & 3.  I'll need connectors that convert from 9-pin to RJ-45 (PC)
and 25-pin to RJ-45 (DTC).

I'd like somebody to confirm my above asumptions (or set me
straight!), and to head me in the direction of a good (and quick!)
source for the connectors.  Phone numbers and part numbers would be
icing on the cake!

I'm in digest mode, so direct replies are very welcome!  Any help
will be greatly appreciated.

-dll

David L. Largent                "My thoughts are my own,
Information Services Manager     unless I choose to share them!"
The Gilbert Companies, Inc.     Telephone: 765/284-4461
P.O. Box 1032                   Facsimile: 765/288-2079
Muncie, Indiana  47308-1032          Email: [log in to unmask]