HP3000-L Archives

October 1998, Week 5

From:
Leonard Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leonard Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 07:17:28 -0500
<<The HP3000-L threaded archive is now Sherlock-searchable!>>

I am not familiar with Sherlock searching. I would appreciate a private note from a
volunteer mentor.

When I need to search archives running under LSoft's listserv, I send, to
[log in to unmask] the following command

search <listname> [* | string [string..] [from yy/mm/dd]  [to yy/mm/dd] [where
subject contains string] [and | or] sender contains string

example:

search hp3000-l * from 98/10/15 to 98/10/30 where subject contains threaded

The asterisk or string parameter is required. If you know some word in the body of
the message, use it. If you do not use the asterisk and use the dates, subject or
sender to limit the results of your search. On an active list, a very broad set of
criteria, say, three months, may return results 2 or 3 days later.

In the above string does not require quotes. The command must be on a single line.
There is some continuation character, but I have never had to use it and do not have
it at my finger tips. I can look it up if I need it.

I use it frequently, not so much on HP3000-L, but on another listserv list to which I
subscribe, and it's great. I can often get results within a minute if I know enough
of what I want to search "smart".

Leonard S. Berkowitz
mailto:[log in to unmask]
phone: (617) 972-9400 ext. 3250