HP3000-L Archives

October 1998, Week 5

From:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 16:05:19 +0000
I was sitting at a desk at one of my employer's remote sites in England
when lightning hit the area and the lights went out for about one second.
Naturally, all the PCs had to reboot.  I called the site in the U.S. where
our HP3000 was situated over frame relay and told the powers that be, what
happened.

Both of us on the phone believed that there was no cause for concern until
a few minutes later I got a call back from the U.S. telling me they had a
system halt.

Coincidence?  I remember one case that happened to me about 6 years ago
that the HP3000 halted because it could not handle too many simultaneous
log offs (because all the PCs had to reboot at once, thus losing all their
network connections.)  Could this be the cause?  I also seem to remember
this was preventable with an appropriate configuration setting.

Tracy Johnson
Roche, Cornwall