HP3000-L Archives

October 1998, Week 4

From:
Ron Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 07:10:38 +1000
Greg Albert asks:

>We need to purchase either a HP3000 928LX w/64 user license or a HP3000
>957SX w/unlimited user license ... given the same configuration (memory,
>disk space etc) which way should we go?

I have one of each--an unlimited license 957 with 512MB memory (no, it is NOT
limited to 384 MB) with around 250 users and 42 GB of disc.  Its very heavily
loaded, but it copes.  I'm currently looking at replacing all but the lower
bank of
memory with 3rd party 256 MB modules, which will slightly more than double
the memory.

The 928 is a 'crash and burn' development system, limited to 8 users, with
384 MB of memory and 12 GB of disc.  Theoretically, the 957 is supposed
to be 2.0 relative to the 928's 1.6 in terms of ticks on the performance
continuum,
but its very difficult to compare performance because of the vastly different
loads on the machines.

Personally--you'll get a lot more bang out of the 957 and it should be pretty
cheap because its a generation behind the 928.  However, if third party
software
licenses are a consideration, you'll have to check out their tier
pricing--the 957
is on a higher tier if I recall correctly.

HTH,
Ron Burnett
Women's & Children's Healthcare Network
Melbourne, Australia