HP3000-L Archives

October 1998, Week 4

From:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 13:22:57 -0500
At 10/28/98 10:28 AM , Simonsen, Larry wrote:
>Is there available a list of the CONF options for a 7980 tape drive.  We
>have lost the manual and need to check a few option values.

Larry:

I had problems a little over a month ago and a list memeber was kind enough
to email me the following information.  I'd include his name and other
information to give him credit, but I haven't been able to contact him
today.  I now have a photocopy of a 7980 manual at home, so if you need
more information, email me and I can look at the manual when I get home
tonight.  Anyway, below is a copy of part of his message.

John

-------------------------
The configuration options I have listed in the manual which are available on
my 7980 are as follows:

CONF 40 : OFF : Enable change to the non-volatile memory (you have to turn
this
                one on to change any of the others)
CONF 41 : OFF : Auto-online
CONF 44 : REW* (as opposed to ATC*) : Archival Tape Conditioning Rewind--when
                                      on, rewind tapes at the slower ATC speed
CONF 45 : OFF : Operator Select Archive -- ask the operator which speed to
                rewind at
CONF 48 :  0  : Language (0 is English)
CONF 81 : OFF : Auto-unload

The INFO things are error logs.  INFO 0 is the last 30 errors which occurred
during operation of the drive.  The E?? is incremented for each error.  That
is E02 happened more recently than E01.  The book doesn't say what INFO 1
through 5 are--I guess you're supposed to call HPRC.

TEST 1 completely checks out the drive.  You have to stick a scratch tape in
(smaller is better because it has to write and read to EOT).  TEST 0 is the
poweron tests.  TEST 70 lights all the lights on the control panel (perhaps
that's what happened?)  TEST 71 tests the keys on the panel.  TEST 72 is an
interactive test that checks control panel functions.  They warn not to run
any test that is not listed.

John Korb                            email: [log in to unmask]
Innovative Software Solutions, Inc.

The thoughts, comments, and opinions expressed herein are mine
and do not reflect those of my employer(s), or anyone else.