HP3000-L Archives

October 1998, Week 4

From:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 08:27:38 -0800
We recently had fun with COGNOS pricing.  First they wanted $100,000 to
transfer our developer license from a 996 to a 969 (smaller box).  Then
suddenly our support jumped from 5k to 30k.  Well after much screaming and
brow beating we got it down to $50,000 and 5,000 respectivly.  Still total
blood money.  As a result as part of our y2k remediation and reengineering,
we are rewriting everything in COBOL, FrontMan, and DataNOW!.  It was
cheaper to buy the two new products than to keep on with the piece of junk
PowerHouse product.  Now we have fast, well written code that will survive
for decades to come.

shawn