HP3000-L Archives

October 1998, Week 4

From:
"Trudeau, James L" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Trudeau, James L
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 07:44:32 -0700

        <stuff from Tony F snipped>
> As Tony mentioned, Diogenes is a tool provided by HP which can scan IMAGE
> databases looking for any broken chains.  It is usually found in the
> Telesup account.  Unfortunately, when the Spectrum machines came out HP
> stopped providing it on all MPE systems which was a big mistake in my
> opinion because some diagnostic tool is better than none.

        Ummm........back about '91 or '92 at HP's behest I ran Diogenes
        on our then 935 which is a Spectrum machine.  Ran it about
        a year later to in an effort to narrow down some problems by
        comparing output with Adager.  So to *prove* Ken wrong about
        the Spectrum issue I just ran it on our 987.   Whack!  Integer
        overflow error.  Guru 1, Jim 0.

> Tony wondered if the Transaction Manager (XM) makes this diagnostic tool
> unnecessary and I have to respond: NO!
>
> The XM is a wonderful tool which MPE uses and we all benefit from its
> existance but it does not mean that you will not have broken chains in
> your
> databases.  The largest percentage of database

        Amen.

        Jim Trudeau