HP3000-L Archives

October 1998, Week 4

Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 13:26:35 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, F.
Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Naturally, the ODBC approach (which allows SQL-savvy client applications to
>access IMAGE/SQL databases) also has its place, even though it does not
>perform as well as the direct native-mode intrinsic approach for
>high-powered OLTP.  Since ODBC is well known, I will not duplicate the
>efforts of other people and I will concentrate my remarks on the
>direct-to-IMAGE arena, which is not as well known.

Alfredo - I know you probably haven't had a chance to look at DataExpress yet
so the following note may contain some news for you.

DataExpress/ODBCLink does do direct Image Intrinsics calls which would account
for the speed that is seen when folks use ODBCLink for data access or
programming.

A further examination of the DataExpress software would also find that if you
can place the logic in a program that can be stuffed in an XL, the
functionality can be CALLed from the desktop while residing safely on the
HP3000 server.

DataExpress is designed to give flexability to the user community - allowing
the mainstream desktop products and developer environments to be used in
conjunction with the reliable Image database running on the workhorse of our
community - the HP3000.

We also support the Image/SQL interface - this interface allows
users/programmers/DBAs to take advantage of such SQL features as stored
procedures and triggers.

Our whole objective is to allow fast flexible access to ALL HP3000 data - thus
protecting the customers investment in the HP3000 by making it "OPEN" to the
most popular desktop devices. Since our team in fact think of our job as
delivering all the data, we support Cognos PDL dictionaries and DataExpress
File definitions to get KSAM and MPE files. About 2 years ago we did the Oracle
database on the HP3000. (About the only data we don't have access to is that in
INGRES or Starbase).

While you and I are out at the user groups next month we can go over the
factors
influencing the speed of access to data from desktop products and custom
applications.

Best Regards,

Birket Foster
M. B. Foster Associates .. the 1-800-ANSWERS people!
Supplying DataExpress w/cross-platform ODBCLink Option (16&32)( 3K,9K&NT)
EC/EDI(3k,9k,NT) Phone (613) 448-2333 or (613) 448-2588 (FAX)
(See our website at WWW.MBFOSTER.COM)