HP3000-L Archives

October 1998, Week 4

From:
Jennifer Downs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennifer Downs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 14:47:41 -0800
y'all do such a good job of helping....I really appreciate the list.

I installed Apache/ix recently and got it running. First test with my
browser and I got connection. Big celebration! (Thanks Mark...your
instructions are excellent.)

Since this is my first foray into POSIX, I'm having a bit of trouble with
uploading my own files. I've used a number of different FTP programs...all
of them respond differently. The best results have been with Reflection FTP
Client (Windows FTP and WS_FTP were miserable failures)...however, when I
upload my own html files, they default with owner read/write,
not -rw-r--r--. This means I have to do a chmod to make it possible for my
browser to read it. Hardly practical. Any thoughts on why and how to get
around this? How do most folks who run Apache generate their web pages?
(Please don't tell me you create them on the 3000 with ed or vi -- scary
thought. :-)) What FTP clients do you use?

Another FTP problem....when I pull the .conf files down to my PC and open
them up with a text editor, they line break at every character, producing
one very long file with a letter on each line. Thoughts on why this would be
happening and what I should do about it?

One other odd thing that I guess isn't that odd, but which I can't quite
puzzle my way around is that my browser (IE 4.0) insists that I have an
internet connection before it will even look for the HP3000. If I don't, it
won't even look for the server. I figure there must be a setting I've missed
somewhere in the browser.

I have 'For Dummies' books on both UNIX and Apache, which has helped, but
doesn't answer questions like these.

Any help or tips or hints are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Jennifer

--
Jennifer Downs
Webserving Novice