HP3000-L Archives

October 1998, Week 4

From:
Bill Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 09:15:48 -0500
Joe,

You are correct.  It would be best, in a production environment, to have at
least 3-4 spindles in the system volume set.  The main reason for this is
for the system to have adequate space and spindles to spread out transient
disk I/O's (e.g. swapping-related disk I/O's).  The more disk I/O you have
on the system, the greater the benefit in parallelizing these I/O's.

Also, many shops put more than just MPE-related stuff in the system volume
set.  This means that it is increasingly difficult to keep enough free
space in a single disk system volume set, especially since you generally
have only 75 percent of the disk capacity available for permanent disk
files anyway.  (The 75 percent number is the default setting for permanent
disk allocation on ldev 1.  I have been able to change this number to
upwards of 87% without ill effect but I recommend that you leave it at 75%
because it tweaks some of the RC people when they see it.  Besides, don't
be a cheapskate!)

Bill Lancaster