HP3000-L Archives

October 1998, Week 4

From:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 13:35:02 -0500
At 10/26/98 12:31 PM , Mark Bixby wrote:
<snip>

>What happens if you purge gif/ and recreate it?  I.e. copy all of the files
>to somewhere safe, rmdir gif, mkdir gif, and copy the files back?

I just tried something similar.  I moved gif to oldgif, then made a new
gif, then copied the files from oldgif to gif, and finally, I used chmod to
set the new gif permissions (directory and all files) to 775.  Now I can do
a LISTFILE on the directory, but both NCSA and Apache still return a 403
FORBIDDEN error on the gif directory, but will dish up the files within the
gif directory.  Were I not having problems with cgi I'd create a cgi script
to replace server indexing.

>> And another oddity has appeared.  All the cgi scripts that used to work
>> with both the NCSA and Apache web servers will now fail on the Apache web
>> server with an error 500.  Upon looking in the Apache error_log I find that
>> the error is a "malformed header".  Funny, it looks fine to me!
>
>Sometimes you can learn more about why CGI scripts fail if you test them
>interactively from the sh.hpbin.sys command line as SERVER.APACHE:
>
>       echo foo | yourCGIscript | cat -

I'll have to try that.

>What's the full :STORE syntax you used to back up your system, and what full
>syntax did you use to :RESTORE it?  Note that ;DIRECTORY also applies to
>POSIX directories.

We use the following options on STORE:

   SHOW=LONG;COPYACD;DIRECTORY;MAXTAPEBUF;PROGRESS=5

On RESTORE we use:

   SHOW=LONG;COPYACD;DIRECTORY;OLDDATE

<snip>
Our full backup job is similar to yours, but it also runs BULDACCT, shuts
down a number of applications, shuts down NS, and copies spoolfiles off to
tape.  We don't have multiple tape drives, multiple volume sets, or online
backup, so we don't use the options which pertain to them.

John
John Korb                            email: [log in to unmask]
Innovative Software Solutions, Inc.

The thoughts, comments, and opinions expressed herein are mine
and do not reflect those of my employer(s), or anyone else.