HP3000-L Archives

October 1998, Week 4

Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 07:32:43 -0700
Jerry Fochtman writes:
>[Steve Dirickson wrote:]
>>More than "some other countries"; most of the rest of the world is on the
>>"loser pays" system, which is why they have such lower attorney/contributing
>>human ratios than we do.
>
>...I am concerned what this might do to the 'little guy' who really
>does have a legitimate claim but cannot hire all the high-priced legal
>teams and basically gets overwhelmed by maneuvers/etc.

At least the judge should have the discretion to order the loser to pay.
That would help keep the more egregious cases out of court while not
denying anyone the chance to litigate a legitimate but finely-balanced
claim.

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
btoback AT optc.com                |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Mail sent to [log in to unmask] will be inspected for a
fee of US$250. Mailing to said address constitutes agreement to
pay, including collection costs.