HP3000-L Archives

October 1998, Week 4

From:
"Trudeau, James L" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Trudeau, James L
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 16:11:56 -0600
Howdy,

Over the years there have been a lot of posts regarding setting up
to print from the 3000 over a network.  Well during my recent absense
the notes I had up and got legs.  No suprise there, so I turned to the
FAQ at www.3k.com and didn't find quite what I'm looking for.  I then
went to the 3000-l archives and got a bit overwhelmed with quantity.

So without further ado let me clutter up the list with one more plea
for assistance.

The problem:

On the same inhouse LAN print to any one of several 2564x printers
from either the HP 3000 or the HP 9000 both of which are connected
to the same LAN.  The 9000 sysadmin says he doesn't see a problem
once the printers are on the net.  That being the fly in the ointment.

What I've got to work with:

HP 3000 model 987, MPE/iX 5.0 pp5
TCP/IP ethernet
Minisoft Netprint92 version 2.2 is "in the mail", current is 2.0
Bunch (15) of HP 2564a,b,c and 2300 printers
JetDirect cards (somewhere)

The Question:

With the equipment I've got I think I can figure it out except my
native logic (read as faulty memory) tells me I need some kinda'
box between the serial printer and the paralell Jetdirect box.

I had our "hardware dude" check into it with HP (lord alone knows
who he talked to) and got the "maintenance discontinued" pater.

:comment   Didn't ask what the stinking maintenace status was
:comment   Didn't ask 'em to install anything
:comment   Just asked for info on what sort of critter we need
:comment           between the two devices
:comment   Should have known better.  We're only paying those
:comment           folks a bit over $30k per year

So I've heard mention on the list of an Intel box that will do the job.
Anyone got a model/part number?  Sorry to waste the bandwidth,
but I'm on a really short time line, I need something to do Sunday :-(

Any advice/life experiances much appreciated.

Jim "being a statistic isn't so bad if your on the 'right' side" Trudeau