HP3000-L Archives

October 1998, Week 4

From:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 00:30:04 -0400
Joe Geiser wrote:

> To all Shakespeare's fans out there...
>
> I'm sorry - there are many attorneys that are good people, and provide a
> valuable service (mine happens to be one of them :)
>
> There are others, usually the ones doing their own TV ads (i.e. "We'll
> HAMMER AND HAMMER AND HAMMER TO GET YOU WANT'S DUE YOU!!!"), charge a
> contingency fee ("YOU DON'T PAY A CENT UNLESS YOU COLLECT!" advice: watch
> your wallet!) and generally do things in a way that's not quite so
> honorable.
>
> These are the ones that need to be eliminated.  Note that I don't say
> killed, as that would be illegal and get me into trouble... but disbarred
> would be nice.  It's too damned much litigation already in the US.  (I dare
> not speak for the rest of the world - they can speak for themselves about
> their attorneys, barristers, etc.)

Cutting down on unnecessary litigation is simple if our law
makers have the
stomach for it.  Do as is done in Britain (and some other
countries).  The
loser pays the legal fees of the winner.  This makes the stakes
much higher for
the frivolous litigant.

Now there's a thought for the weekend.

Nick D.