HP3000-L Archives

October 1998, Week 3

Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 15:32:01 -0700
John Zoltak writes:

>        You are right, these files (in HPENV.SYS) are for the
>HP2680/HP2688 type of printers. They used a language called DCL (I
>think).

DCS, and calling it a "language" is stretching things a bit. It contains
raw binary data structures to be loaded into the printer's formatter.
This obviously compromises device independence.

However, the files also contain PCL representations of the fonts and so
on, and the SCSI PCL printer driver knows how to extract and use those. I
don't see any reason except for lack of time and money that this couldn't
be extended to non-SCSI printers.

>These are totally unusable with LaserJet
>printers.

Except for SCSI PCL printers, which I suppose aren't really LaserJets.

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
btoback AT optc.com                |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Mail sent to [log in to unmask] will be inspected for a
fee of US$250. Mailing to said address constitutes agreement to
pay, including collection costs.