HP3000-L Archives

October 1998, Week 3

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 16:29:52 -0400
> This name meant nothing to me, but curiosity got the better

<snip>
>>> I had thought it might be more appropriate for someone more aware of his
role than I am to be the poster, and perhaps some of you are in a position
to comment. <<<

Jon Postel was the Chairman (title might be off) of IANA, which is the
authority over Internet Numbering.  The entire system of handling IP
addresses is controlled pretty much by IANA.

Jon Postel's name is on most of the RFCs (Request for Comment) which drive
Internet standards.  If it has to do with the internet, Dr. Jon Postel
pretty much had something to do with it.

Some people were critical of his way of doing things and the power he had
over the internet.  I won't go into that now, but suffice it to say, his way
was almost always the best way.

He will be sorely missed.

Regards,
Joe