HP3000-L Archives

October 1998, Week 3

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 13:10:16 -0500
Alfredo/et.al.

The following is HP's press release.  If I recall, CSY is in Bill Russell's
domain, as I believe Dr. Harry Sterling reports to him.  And given he is the
head of the Enterprise Systems Group.  I don't see anything that initially
suggests that this narrowing of the upper levels will have any immediate
affect on CSY's current plans or efforts, but as we all know, everything is
subject to change.... ;-)

     HP CREATES ENTERPRISE COMPUTING SOLUTIONS ORGANIZATION

     Industry's Leading Hardware, Software and Services Merge to Sharpen
     Focus on Large Customers

     PALO ALTO, Calif., Oct. 19, 1998 - Hewlett-Packard Company (NYSE:
     HWP) today announced it has created a single organization dedicated to
     serving the needs of large customers.  Two groups are merging - the
     Enterprise Systems Group and the Software and Services Group - to
     better integrate solutions for global enterprise customers.  HP
     enterprise hardware, software, consulting, outsourcing, education,
     financing and support will combine under Ann M. Livermore, HP vice
     president and general manager of the new Enterprise Computing
     Solutions Organization.

     "Integrated solutions - that's what customers want from an
     information-technology supplier," said Lewis E. Platt, HP chairman,
     president and chief executive officer.  "By bringing together two
     world-class organizations that are proven in their individual ability
     to address enterprise customers, we are creating an enterprise
     powerhouse.

     "We have assembled a $15 billion, 44,000-person strong organization
     that is unrivaled in its technology, server leadership, middleware
     capabilities and service reputation," Platt said.

     Livermore, 40, is an HP vice president and former general manager of
     the Software and Services Group.  William V. Russell, 46, an HP vice
     president and general manager of the Enterprise Systems Group, will
     report to Livermore.  Livermore and Russell remain on the company's
     Executive Committee.

     The Enterprise Systems Group has created and implemented a leadership
     roadmap for the UNIX(R) system business that delivers market-leading
     performance and a clear transition to the next-generation computing
     architecture.  The group also brought enterprise performance and high
     availability to high-end Intel-based servers, introduced
     groundbreaking Internet offerings and high-availability enterprise
     storage, and bolstered relationships with top enterprise customers.

     The Software and Services Group has launched new Internet-enabling
     software businesses, aggressively expanded the HP OpenView portfolio,
     realigned consulting activities for greater global reach, broadened
     financing offerings and achieved strong customer loyalty in the
     support business.

     "The merger supports our belief that information-technology solutions
     must have equally strong components of hardware, software and
     services," Livermore said.  "This holistic approach ensures we are
     focused on offering the best mix of services and technology to each
     enterprise customer."

     "It's exciting to build on the strong foundation we have laid for
     our enterprise customers," Russell said.  "This consolidation is
     exactly what large customers want and exactly the combination that
     will play to HP's strengths in mission-critical computing for
     enterprise customers."

     HP's leadership in mission-critical computing was born out of the
     close
     collaboration between the Enterprise Systems and the Software and
     Services groups. With the new organization, HP believes it will be
     even better prepared to integrate solutions and align all that HP can
     bring to bear to solve customers' problems.

     "Bill and I are confident customers will benefit from the full force
     of HP's capabilities focused on their needs," Livermore said.

     Livermore joined HP in 1982 and was assigned to the U.S. Field
     Organization, where she worked on processes and systems.  She
     subsequently held management positions in marketing services and
     research and development before being named sales and marketing
     manager for the Worldwide Customer Support Organization in 1993, and
     general manager of that organization in 1995.  Also in 1995, she was
     elected an HP vice president.  In 1997, the support organization was
     renamed the Software and Services Group.  She holds a bachelor's
     degree in economics from the University of North Carolina at Chapel
     Hill and a master's degree in business administration from Stanford
     University.

At 07:35 PM 10/20/98 -0600, F. Alfredo Rego wrote:
>See http://www.computerworld.com/home/news.nsf/CWFlash/9810191hp and please
>focus on the first three paragraphs:
>
>Hewlett-Packard Co. is melding its hardware, software and services groups
>into a single organization in a bid to leverage their combined strengths.
>
>The Palo Alto, Calif., company this morning said it was merging its
>Enterprise Systems Group and the Software and Services Group into a
>unified, $15 billion, 44,000-person organization.
>
>HP's Enterprise Systems Group is responsible for developing, manufacturing
>and marketing the company's range of Unix and Intel Corp. servers, as well
>as its Internet and storage offerings. The Software and Services Group is
>responsible for products such as HP's OpenView management suite and its
>Internet-enabling tools.
>
>-----------------
>

>Computerworld mentions HP's "range of Unix and Intel Corp. servers" but
>fails to mention "MPE" and "HP3000" (both products form HP's most reliable
>business-critical combination of software and hardware systems).
>
>Several large HP3000 customers apparently think that I am some kind of
>oracle and have asked me for my advice regarding TWO crucial questions.  I
>have to confess my ignorance and I ask for the help of my HP3000-L
>colleagues:
>
>Where does the HP3000 fit within HP's organization?
>
>        a) Inside THIS newly (re)organized entity (i.e., together
>           with HP's "range of Unix and Intel Corp. servers")?
>
>        b) Outside of THIS newly (re)organized entity (i.e., is
>           CSY continuing as a strong independent division that
>           provides tons of profits -- and tremendously loyal
>           customers -- for HP)?
>

>Sorry about the public display of ignorance and about the public plea for
>help in understanding these requests from people who, kindly, thought that
>I could have the answers they wanted.
>

> _______________
>|               |
>|               |
>|            r  |  Alfredo                     mailto:[log in to unmask]
>|          e    |                                  http://www.adager.com
>|        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego                       +1 208 726-9100
>|      a        |  Manager, R & D Labs               Fax +1 208 726-2822
>|    d          |  Adager Corporation
>|  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000                   U.S.A.
>|               |
>|_______________|

X-no-Archive:yes

/jf
                              _\\///_
                             (' o-o ')

                      Tuesday, October 20th

          Today in 1803 - The U.S. Senate ratified the Louisiana
                          Purchase Treaty.

                            oooO  (    )
                             \_)