HP3000-L Archives

October 1998, Week 3

From:
Charles Finley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Finley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 11:06:19 -0700
On Tuesday, October 20, 1998 10:39 AM, Forrest Smith
[SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:
> Hey there fellow listers,
>
> I hope someone can help me with this.  I am looking for a fault tolorant
> disk array.  I am in a deal with EMC now but the mother company is mostly
> IBM, so of course I get to see their solution as well.  It looks OK on
> paper and really the only reason I bring it up is because IBM's solution
is
> almost half the price.  They have just given the presentation on their
SSA
> disk solution and now I'm confused.  Does anyone know if HP will support
> machine with SSA IBM disk on it? Or what the ramifications of this is.  I
> want EMC but 200k is 200k.  I need you listers to help me justify that.
>
> Forrest.
My information is a 3-4 months old, therefore things might have changed in
the interium.  What was true at that time is that the EMC solution is
supported by Hewlett Packard and the IBM SSA was not.  What HP support
means is that if you call the response center, they will help you reslove
issues relative to the drive.  In other words, you can avoid finger
pointing with the EMC solution.  I believe that EMC actually supports the
hardware in these cases.

As of the time of my information, HP had taken the position that they had
no plans to support SSA on either the HP 9000 or the HP 3000. A different
question is will SSA work?  People are using it, the drivers are available,
however, the support comes from IBM.

Charles Finley
OESC
(310) 957-2200