HP3000-L Archives

October 1998, Week 3

From:
Michael Hurdle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Hurdle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 13:57:28 -0400
We have an HP3000 Series 957SX connected via 802.3 card to the local LAN
segment which had previously been "gateway"ed to the corporate WAN by a
Cisco AGS+ router. This was replaced late last week by a Cisco 7200 series
router that connects to the HP3000 LAN segment via an ATM switch and
additional hub equipment. We discovered that this had the result that the
HP3000 could not communicate beyond the new router. The new router was
assigned the same i.p. address as the Cisco AGS+ router had and the Internet
table in NMMGR on the HP3000 has this value configured as the default
gateway (@). One other change in the environment is that this new
configuration introduced the ATM switch and hubs into the topology (the
HP3000 was previously connected to the AGS+ by a legacy FDDI ring), but
since we can ping between the new router and the HP3000, it appears the
router is the point of failure. Is there any specific configuration on the
router that has to be done to support the HP3000's existence on the WAN?

We've tried restarting the network on the HP3000, power cycling the box,
everything we can think of. We ended up putting the old router back until we
can resolve this issue.

Michael T. Hurdle
MPE Systems Management (Nortel)