HP3000-L Archives

October 1998, Week 1

From:
Alan AMBERS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan AMBERS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 11:37:00 -0400
Since DTC's do not use a routeable protocol, you have one of two ways
(at least) of acomplishing what you want.

1) If you are using DTC mgr, you can get a *second* DTC mgr on the
remote segment and set up for routable DTC traffic.  I don't know the
details since we have *far* to many remote segments to make this work.

2) Turn on transparent bridging which will allow the DTC traffic to
bridge.  On cisco routers, this is quite easy.  To configure this, go
into the enable mode (once you telnet to the router)

winchester>enable
password:
Winchester#configure terminal
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
winchester(config)#bridge 1 protocol ieee
winchester(config)#int e0       <-----asuuming you are using ethernet 0
winchester(config-if)#bridge-group 1
winchester(config-if)#exit
winchester(config)#
winchester#write   <---this saves the configuration.
winchester#exit

I'm assuming you have all the IP stuff set up correctly.  This is just
the additional for the bridging.

You must put it on all the interfaces (int e0 shown above) involved.
That includes any serial interfaces that connect the two routers.

HTH

/alan

> Not sure if I have got correct e-mail address, but I hope this gets to
> subscribers list.
>
> I have not configured CISCO routers before and just want to check
> something.
>
> I have an HP3000 987 running MPIX 5.0, I need to set up 15 PC's
running
> terminal emulation in a remote office. That remote office will be
connected
> by a Cable and wireless link...with a CISCO 2500 router at each end ,
> talking IP. I have an internal TCP/IP network at my local office.
>
> I assume once the routers are talking all I need to do is hook up my
DTC48