HP3000-L Archives

September 1998, Week 5

From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 22:05:02 -0400
Way back when I first started in computers, I worked for a systems
consulting (data processing services) firm.  Their non-compete
clause was as follows (from memory):

For a period of five years after leaving their employ, I could not
work for any client of theirs that I had personally performed
services at within the last two years.

Yeah, I signed it (hey, I needed the job!).  As for enforceability,
the successfully litigated this clause a number of times.

However, today, I would *never* sign a non-compete as inclusive or
lengthy (time-wise) as this one, nor yours.

On another note, a friend of mine works for OfficeMax, and they
are installing SAP R3.  In order to be considered for the project
team and receive the SAP training, my friend had to sign an
agreement that he would not terminate his employment for the
next "n" years, presumably to "protect" OfficeMax's "investment"
in the training and the project.  I don't know what happens if
they decide to terminate his employment.

Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems
Voice: (330) 527-2124                   Therm-O-Link, Inc.
  Fax: (330) 527-2123                   PO Box 285; 10513 Freedom St.
Email: [log in to unmask]       Garrettsville, Ohio  44231