HP3000-L Archives

September 1998, Week 5

Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 18:57:28 EDT
Aha!  Maybe that's the problem I ran into this past weekend!
I have encountered four badly corrupted data bases, all of which
had just been ERASEd with DBUTIL.  At least three of them were
corrupted when TurboStore true on-line backup had kicked in but
the tapes were not mounted.  No one was there to see the console
message, and then three scheduled jobs ran which ERASEd the
three data bases and tried to re-load them with new data.

We plan to run controlled tests to establish whether there is a
connection between the on-line TurboStore and the DBUTIL ERASE.
These two HP3000s are on PowerPatch 4, not 5.  The change that
took place just before this problem surfaced was that some datacomm
patches were applied to both systems.  The patches were to fix a
problem which had caused five system halts in a week.

Cecile Chi