HP3000-L Archives

September 1998, Week 5

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:10:59 -0700
Glenn asks:
> Stan writes:
>
> > That said, what happens if you now do a PURGEGROUP of the group
> > from MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET (i.e., you do a PURGEGROUP without
> > specifying ONVS=uservolumeset)?
> >
> > The group entry is removed from MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET, but
> > nothing happens to the files on the user volume set

Ah...I see the confusion.  I wrote the above based on my
recollection of how things work.  I then tested it, realized
things were different and wrote the following (where the
"> >" lines are below) ... *without* remembering
to go back and update the above.  In the above, strike the
text:
    ", but nothing happens to the files on the user volume set"
and replace it with:

   If the user volume set is mounted, the files are purged from
   the group;

   if the user volume set is not mounted, no files are purged
   (nor are any purged when the volume set is mounted later);

   Regardless of the above, the group entry is removed from the
   account's list of groups on MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET.

> > Note: doing a simple PURGEGROUP (with no "ONVS=") to a group
> > that has a HOMEVS=uservolumeset (and the volume set is
> > mounted) will do two things:
> >
> >   1) purge files from B on uservolumeset;
>
> Huh?
>
> Does the first scenario imply the group is homed to <long_name> ?

As stated above, the "purge files from B on volumeset" happens
because B has HOMEVS=uservolumeset *and* the uservolumeset is mounted.
(I'm avoiding using "<long_name>" because I don't know if you mean
uservolumeset or MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET)

Sorry for the mistake and confusion it caused!

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html