HP3000-L Archives

September 1998, Week 5

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 13:27:08 -0700
Tracy asks:

> Does each group that you want on a different volume set require that a
> duplicate group exist on the MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET for an account?

Yes.

> Or can the account survive with some groups not being on the
> MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET at all?

Yes.

Sounds like a contradiction, eh?

To *access* the files in a group whose "HOMEVS" is something other
than MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET, there must be an account and group
entry on MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET *and* on the user volume set.
Further, the group entry on MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET must have
a HOMEVS to the user volume set.

That said, what happens if you now do a PURGEGROUP of the group
from MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET (i.e., you do a PURGEGROUP without
specifying ONVS=uservolumeset)?

The group entry is removed from MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET, but
nothing happens to the files on the user volume set (or to the
group's definition on the user volume set).  However, you can't
access the files until you build a new group (same group name,
same account name) on MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET, and HOMEVS it to
the user volume set.  Then, the files appear "like magic".

Note: doing a simple PURGEGROUP (with no "ONVS=") to a group
that has a HOMEVS=uservolumeset (and the volume set is
mounted) will do two things:

   1) purge files from B on uservolumeset;

   2) remove B from the account directory on MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
      (i.e., the group is still in the account directory on
     the user volume set!)

(If the user volume set wasn't mounted, only step 2 happens!)

So, the proper way to completely remove a group on a volume set is:

   :purgegroup B; onvs=<user volume set>
   :purgegroup B

BTW, I'd appreciate it if you *NEVER* include the following
phrases in the name of a volume set:  "VOLUME" or "SET".
Thus, "TEST" is a heck of a lot better then "TESTVOLUMESET"
or "TEST_VOLUME_SET"!

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html