HP3000-L Archives

September 1998, Week 5

From:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 09:37:23 -0400
As to Question #1:
TDP/3000 stands for "Text and Document Processor", which is the name HP
have to a product called the "LARC" editor (with SCRIBE).  Martin Gorfinkle
(Martin, please pardon my spelling, I'm sorry if I misspelled your name)
created and sold the LARC/SCRIBE package.  I think he created LARC in the
late 1970's or very early 1980's.  He sold it to HP and HP renamed it
TDP/3000.  Martin then worked on the next generation product, FANTASIA,
which a number of us still use.  TDP was geared to output devices of the
daisy-wheel era - the Diablo printers and Agile printer/terminals.
FANTASIA is the LaserJet era editor/formatter.  Its formatting commands
allow you the control a typesetter would expect, and while I don't have a
photo-typesetting output device, I believe FANTASIA can/could output to
linotype devices as well as the LaserJets.

Both TDP and FANTASIA include a line editor.  Both have features and
capabilities far greater than those of EDITOR, and are generally much
easier to use.

As to Question #2:
There are probably as many line editor preferences as there are line
editors, so I'm sure that you will hear many different preferences.  I use
many different HP 3000 systems, some classic, some MPE/iX.  The the editors
available to me on these systems range from the primitive (EDITOR) to QUAD
to TDP to FANTASIA to QEDIT.  Of the line editors listed above, my personal
preferences would be QEDIT first, then FANTASIA second, then TDP third,
then QUAD fourth, then EDITOR.

When editing source code, I use EMACS, which runs on my trusty old HP
150's, Windows 95 PCs, and UNIX systems (but not under POSIX on MPE/iX).

John

At 9/28/98 02:31 PM , Curtis Larsen wrote:
>Please pardon a question which, upon it's asking will demonstrate a
>considerable lack of knowledge regarding available HP3000 line
>editors, but hey -- here I go:
>
>Editor I know, and Quad I know, but what the heck is TDP?
>

>Question #2:
>
>If one cannot convince one's management to purchase something nifty
>like <plug> QEdit </plug>, then what are the votes for the best
>all-around minimal-hassle host-based line editor? (JCL & command file
>editing, mostly -- mebbe a little Perl/Python -- but no C or COBOL..)
>

>(Many thanks in advance for kind responses and genteel pity.)
>
>Curtis
>

>PS - Sorry  for any annoying tags -- my messages get modified after I
>send 'em.

>Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail transmission
>may contain confidential or legally privileged
>information that is intended only for the individual
>or entity named in the e-mail address. If you are not
>the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
>any disclosure, copying, distribution, or reliance
>upon the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
>
>If you have received this e-mail transmission in error,
>please reply to the sender, so that Covance can arrange
>for proper delivery, and then please delete the message
>from your inbox. Thank you.

John Korb                            email: [log in to unmask]
Innovative Software Solutions, Inc.

The thoughts, comments, and opinions expressed herein are mine
and do not reflect those of my employer(s), or anyone else.