HP3000-L Archives

September 1998, Week 5

From:
Brian Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:50:42 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From:   Lars Appel [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
>Sent:  Wednesday, September 30, 1998 7:41 AM
>To:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject:       HP User Group event in Telford, UK

>Fellow list(en)ers,
did anybody have a chance (unlike me) to attend the HP User Group event
in Telford, UK, last week -- and is he or
 she willing to share a few lines of trip report, impressions,
observations, etc with us?

> Thanks in advance, Lars.

I was there. In comparison to earlier years, it was somewhat sparsely
attended - not totally surprising for an event held in an abandoned
warehouse in the back of beyond. There seemed to be a lot of preaching
to the converted. While it is most gratifying to see HP actively
promoting the 3000 in a couple of sessions, the various delegates were
already committed HP3000 users and didn't need convincing.

By all accounts the training sessions were very popular and well worth
attending; perhaps too popular from the point of view of vendors since
many people ignored the exhibition entirely and only attended the
training.

The second day was marred by travel problems for many of the delegates
and some of the speakers. There were massive delays on the M6 leading to
cancelled talks or replacement speakers (and reduced attendance, of
course).

By and large, the event had a rather dismal and uninspired air to it. I
really have no idea how this can be changed for future conferences. More
people, more vendors, more speakers, but how to attract them is beyond
me.

My opinion of the venue was adversely affected by my impression of
Telford - I hated the place, and have no intention of venturing anywhere
near it again. This has a great deal to do with my fear of heights: from
the railway station you have to cross a dual carriageway to get to the
conference centre. Unfortunately, the only way is over one of two
bridges, one for pedestrians and one road bridge; the pedestrian bridge,
in particular, seemed extremely flimsy and actually *vibrates* as you
walk doing nothing for my peace of mind. Once that obstacle was
negotiated and my heart rate had returned to something approaching
normal, finding the site proved to be easy enough except that I made the
mistake of heading for the gate nearest to the entrance to the building.
Since this gate did not provide any access to the car park it was, of
course, locked, so having got within twenty yards of the door, I had to
trudge around to the back of the car park where there was a gate open
then walk across the car park (no footpaths I could see) to the
entrance. I hate it when it is assumed that a car is the *only* means of
transport available.

The bar was bare of tables or chairs (or decent beer, but that's normal
for conference centres). The consequent lack of custom was presumably
the reason it never opened on the second day when more people were
expected (the first day didn't start until after lunch, the second being
the only full day).

I went along to the HP round table session, curiously scheduled for
5.00pm on the first day. This was a bit of a farce with virtually no one
asking any questions and was mercifully terminated before the silence
got too embarrassing.

I have to admit that my expectations were not high for this event and I
attended only because the location was conveniently close. I doubt that
I shall go next year, and certainly not for two days.

Brian Williams
Arriva Automotive Solutions
Birmingham UK