HP3000-L Archives

September 1998, Week 5

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 21:54:12 -0400
I would concur with Mark Klein's post that "rm -r" is indeed not a rare
instance.  It is yet another excellent example of those Posix-isms that
has created such a love/hate relationship with the user community.  The
posix environment has made many wonderful things possible to those users
who are knowledgeable enough or patient enough to bear with such
"quirks" as this, yet annoys the heck out of those users who are really
unix literate and have expectations of basic functionality.

I would also like to comment on Scott McClellan's comment:

> I agree that HP people tend to remain silent more than they should.
> The problem, as I see it (just one man's opinion), is that if I post
> to  this list, and my signature/e-mail address says "HP", then there
> is a risk that people will take my posting as HP's "official"
> position.  I know that I can say things to soften that effect, but the
> reality is that engineers from HP have to give it some consideration
> before they formulate a reply. I believe this reduces (slightly)
> direct participation by HP engineers that read this list all the time.

I would hope that this is *not* the case.  I don't know about the rest
of the readership of this list, but HP3000-L is intended to be a rather
informal forum for information exchange.  We can generally tell when you
are speaking officially when you give us previews of communicator
articles or solicit user input like the recent CFE survey.  But
otherwise, please, by all means, we welcome your participation in the
list dialogue as individuals.  Few of us are posting on behalf of our
employers and we don't expect you to be any different.  Your input is
still welcome.  This list is like a discussion at the water cooler, not
a conference room or a users group.  We digress on Julian calendars,
navel oranges, and countless other odds and ends; I don't think that
this list is an authoritative source for anything HP other than you can
often get some really good advice really quick when you need it.  Nobody
is going to hold you to your word in an official sense (IMHO).

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>