HP3000-L Archives

September 1998, Week 5

From:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:46:05 -0400
Jim:

We have had similar problems when we failed to set the modem to "dumb"
mode, or when the modem lost its configuration settings.  We have about a
dozen brands in use, but none are Hayes.  The basic principle should be the
same though.

I haven't used the Hayes modems, but most modems (like the US Robotics
Sportster, MultiTech, etc.) have either dip switch settings or jumpers that
can be used to set the modem into "dumb" mode.  If the modem doesn't have a
"dumb" mode, you will need to set it to:

   1) always use 19,200 as the DTE speed
   2) disable command echo
   3) disable result codes
   4) load NVRAM defaults on power-on

If your Hayes modem supports it, disable the ability to switch from on-line
to command mode (as by entering + + +).

If you know the type of modem the users will be connecting with, you may
want to set other options, like disconnect unless error correction and
compression have been negotiated.

The above settings take care of most problems we have had.  One of the most
frequent problems we encountered was that some modems were connecting in
"Normal" mode rather than "Reliable, Compressed" mode.  As a result, when
the line dropped the modem would transmit anywhere from about a hundred to
a couple of thousand bytes of garbage to the HP 3000.  Usually there would
be an X-OFF character somewhere in the string of garbage characters and the
X-OFF (flow control character) was telling the HP 3000 to not send any data
to the modem until an X-ON was received.  Since no X-ON was going to be
sent by the modem, the HP 3000 port appeared dead.  It took many hours of
watching a datascope to determine that that was the problem.  One would
think that when the modem signals (CD, DSR, DTR) dropped the HP 3000 would
reset the port and no longer wait for the X-ON, but apparently no such
reset takes place.

you must disable command echo and result codes so that the "Ring",
"Connect", and other messages from the modem do not get sent to the HP 3000
(which is looking for a carriage return for speed sensing and can get
really messed up when it sees the "Ring", "Connect", and other messages).

Hope this helps,

John

At 9/29/98 03:08 PM , you wrote:
>Hayes Accura 56k modem settings:
>
>Anyone out there have Hayes 56k modems attached to an HP3000 via
>DTC connection.  Looking for register settings for these high speed
>modems.
>
>When the new modems were installed using 19.2 on the HP3000, a bad
>disconnect would hang the lead modem.  I have tried several configs, but
>the modems continue to hang on a regular basis.  We are using
>Reflections for the remote connectivity.
>
>Jim Tallerico
>East Bay Regional Park District

John Korb                            email: [log in to unmask]
Innovative Software Solutions, Inc.

The thoughts, comments, and opinions expressed herein are mine
and do not reflect those of my employer(s), or anyone else.