HP3000-L Archives

September 1998, Week 3

From:
Michael I Yawn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael I Yawn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:40:12 GMT
Chris,

pthreads was available pre-MPE/iX 6.0 as part of the DCE Developer's
Kit, which must be purchased (I have no idea of the price).  I
believe the pthreads stuff is going to be bundled with MPE FOS, and I think
it is starting with the 6.0 release, but I'm not positive of the facts
here.

The choice of HP C vs. gcc doesn't affect pthread availability.

The implementation of pthreads was based on a draft version of the
spec, and has never been updated to the 'final' pthreads spec.
So some amount of porting effort/workarounds will be required if
you have an application that uses the 'final' pthreads.  (On the
other hand, if you have an application that uses 'DCE threads',
you should be in good shape, since DCE is built upon the particular
version of the spec that we implemented).

Mike

Chris Breemer ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Hi all,

: It seems that POSIX pthreads are not available in MPE 5.5.
: Is there a way to get this functionality somehow ? Wait for
: MPE 6.0 ? Use gnu C ?

: TIA
: --

: Best regards,

: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
: Chris Breemer                            [log in to unmask]
: Compuware Europe B.V.                    http://www.compuware.com

: "He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was
: mad."

Mike Yawn
Hewlett-Packard                      email       [log in to unmask]
Commercial Systems Division          Voice         (408) 447-4367
19447 Pruneridge Ave M/S 47UA        Fax           (408) 447-4441
Cupertino, CA  95014