HP3000-L Archives

September 1998, Week 3

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James B. Byrne
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:03:34 -0400
Late last week I reported a problem with our DAT (DDS-1) drive
and received a number of suggestions.  For the immediate and
informative responses I thank everyone who took the time to
reply.

However, I have determined that the error in question ONLY
arises when a STORE requires more than one tape.  Now the
error message that comes up is something to the effect that the
"media is bad, continue operation anyway? y/n".  If the
operator replies to this message with a "Y" then the second
tape starts off and everything appears to be stored.  At least the
tape sets check out and the files can be pulled back.

So my question is: "Is this a real problem with our tape drive, or
is this a problem relating to PP4 to iX 5.5?"  The symptoms
started immediately after upgrading to PP4 and the tape
backups seem to be intact and the error message ONLY comes
up on multi volume backups so I am a little suspicious about
this.

I am going to do further testing tomorrow with some 4m tapes to
determine whether the statement "ONLY occurs on multi volume
backups" can be restated as "ALWAYS occurs on multi volume
backups."

Regards,
Jim
---
James B. Byrne                Harte & Lyne Limited
vox: +1 905 561 1241          9 Brockley Drive
fax: +1 905 561 0757          Hamilton, Ontario
mailto:[log in to unmask]  Canada L8E 3C3