HP3000-L Archives

September 1998, Week 3

From:
"Newman, Kevin:" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Newman, Kevin:
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 13:03:49 -0400
The tapes don't have to be cheap tapes to have problems.  It can also
have to do with the storage of the tapes, Cool Dry vs. Warm Moist; how
dusty the environment, and what kind of lubricant.  Some lubricants will
decay, others will chemically alter or otherwise harm the objects that
they come in contact with, etc.  There are a lot of different things
that can cause problems with old media.  The best advice is to
periodically read/verify tape media and copy/move them over to new
media. (this only applies to things that you want for a long period of
time)

Kevin Newman