HP3000-L Archives

September 1998, Week 3

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 16:23:52 -0400
See comments below.  Errors are likely a case of now you see it, now you
don't.

Richard Gambrell
Database Administrator

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Alan AMBERS wrote:

> Thanks to Mark, Richard and Jeff for their suggestions.
> Especially on a Saturday.
>
> Jeff had the winner.  He suggested on brute force changing
> the permissions on the /usr and /lib directories (and subdirectories).
>
> I only had to do /usr as follows....
>
> | shell/iX> chmod -R 755 /usr
> | chmod: file "/usr/local/samba": Invalid argument

Not sure on this one.  It should be a directory.
From the manual:
 path or fildes descriptor does not refer to
 an appropriate file.  It may be a special
 file, such as a pipe or socket.

> | chmod: file "/usr/local/java/jdk1.1.5/jdk1.1.2": No such file or directory

This is likely a softlink that points at a non-existent file.
It also looks like a left over from an install mistake.

> | shell/iX> exit
> | :mortal.pub.vesoft
> | Version 27N80324  03:03716
> | :java HelloWorld
> |
> | No Floating-Point coprocessor, disabling JIT
> | Hello, World!
> |
> | END OF PROGRAM
> | :
>
> I'm a little concerened about what I opened up from a security
> standpoint.  I can live with it on this machine since it is
> our development machine and only a couple of staff know how
> to run the shell.

HP supplied files in /usr should not pose a threat to anyone with
read/execute access, except be careful what you put in /usr/local.

> I'm also wondering about the two error messages.  I'm using jdk1.1.5
> so I'm don't think I will have any problems.  And someone else
> on staff just started to install Samba so I don't know if I
> messed anything up for him.

Likely helped.