HP3000-L Archives

September 1998, Week 2

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 21:05:05 -0400
On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Jeff Kell wrote:

> Duane Percox wrote:
> >
> > I believe that Jeff Kell wins the less is more signature contest over
> > Richard Gambrell.
> >
> > Please give my sympathies to Richard 'lots of unix mess' Gambrell for
> > all the madness he must have endured...
>
> And endured on my behalf as I am supposed to be administering both, but
> our delivery schedules and timelines necessitated that we split our
> efforts across the 3000/9000.  I just got lucky in that split :-)

Hey, you never asked if I wanted to trade.:-)

> Besides, if I was doing the 9000, it likely still wouldn't be up.
> Migrating our systems only reinforces the power of MPE and the crudeness
> of Unix.  I mean, :restore;;directory, and a few :restores of user files
> later and y'er done (once you get a complete subsys tape).

I can frestore the password file and the /home directories, but if I
frestore from Friday's tape, then frestore on top of it with today's tape,
I still get files left that were purged between Friday and today. On Unix,
I don't know of any way to prevent this without cleaning out the files
before today's restore - opps, I meant frestore.

Richard