HP3000-L Archives

September 1998, Week 2

From:
Steve Weisbrod <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Weisbrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 17:03:19 -0400
This past weekend I was talking to a friend who is a partner in a company
that has HPUX and HP3K boxes. I told him the 'bumper sticker' proposal
(Hillary: "I bought an HP3000 for the White-House..etc") and we started
discussing the merits of the HP3K. *Please keep in mind that this guy is a
decision maker in this company but is not a 'technical' person*
Anyway, he says to me "yeah, that HP3000 never breaks, it just keeps running
and running but we're going to get rid of it and go strictly unix". I asked
him why he would want to do that??... the HP3K being so dependable and all.
He replied "unix is much faster". I asked "faster than what??... what kind
of 'faster' do you mean?" and he said "unix systems are just faster than
HP3000s".

So here is a decision maker that is going to get rid of his HP3K because he
has acquired the perception that UNIX systems are 'faster' and I'm sitting
there with my mouth hanging open trying to figure out how to explain to this
'friend of mine' where he has his head..... ya know..a TPC benchmark would
have come in REAL handy.

BTW, when Alfredo's flying circus comes to town in November I'm going to get
this guy to go hear what Alfredo has to say about the 3K. THAT ought to get
him thinking!

Steve (friends don't let friends buy UNIX) Weisbrod