HP3000-L Archives

September 1998, Week 1

From:
Alan AMBERS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan AMBERS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 08:33:00 -0400
Hello all -

I have the proceedings moved over to one of our hp3000s running apache
and want to share the problems/solutions in summary form.

1) Problem - In trying to shuffle apache posix files into another volume
set, a set of non purgeable directories appeared.  They were from "/usr"
and I didn't copy them, so I don't know how they got there.  But I
couldn't purge them either.

1) Solution - Mark Bixby spoke of the bad patch MPEJXV9B.  Workaround
was to reboot the system and use the purgedir ...;tree

2) Problem - Filenames didn't look right when mounting the CDROM on a
HP-UX system.

2) Solution - Many people (Richard Grambrell first) sugguested that I
use the "-o cdcase" on my mount command.

3) Problem - Could not get FTP's mget to traverse directories.

3) Solution - I don't know if it can, but I ended up "tar -cvf" the 7900
files on the cd and then moved that one file over (in bytestream).

3) Question - When I "tar -xvf sourcebyte" (the file), I got many
occurances of:
----------------------
x nfiles/n547/ppt/last.gif, 225 bytes, 1 tape block
tar: nfiles/n547/ppt/last.gif: cannot set uid/gid: Invalid argument
x nfiles/n547/ppt/next.gif, 211 bytes, 1 tape block
tar: nfiles/n547/ppt/next.gif: cannot set uid/gid: Invalid argument

But it works so I'm not overly concerned.  But I would like to know what
is going on.

Thanks to everybody who helped.  I would share the proceedings on the
web, but this is an Intranet server :(

/alan

Alan Ambers
Chief, Network Technologies (that's my day job!!!)
Frederick County Government, Interagency Information Technologies
(301) 694-1015