HP3000-L Archives

September 1998, Week 1

Date:
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 01:59:45 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, "Gary L.
Biggs" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I'm attempting to push the limits of ODBCLINK/SE with some real
>life queries from MS Access. Unfortunately, regardless of any
>timeout settings I set with MS Access, the ODBCLN32.DLL ALWAYS
>times out at about 360 seconds.
>
>When reported to HP, they had a KPR issued and said MB Foster
>was working on the problem. As expected, E-MAIL requests to
>[log in to unmask] have gone unanswered. So, to any of you
>that have the full ODBCLINK product and a manual, are there
>any registry settings available that will disable this annoying
>time out feature so I can get some real work done?

Gary - You must realize by now the support process that HP has for ODBCLink/SE.

The first line of contact is the response center ... I assume you are on
support, so if you contact the response center there is a standard response for
this question ... I have on previous occasions sent the exact place in the
registery where this is set (or the correct setting in the INI files if you are
using the 16 bit ODBCLink/SE client) and would do today but I am on vacation
and the docs aren't handy ... so contact the response center and in a few
minutes you will have your response.(or check the archives of the list May 98
was the last time I sent it out I think).

Hope this helps your understanding of the support process ... HP is pleased to
support the ODBCLink/SE through the correct process/channels. As the "lab" we
are required to follow these processes.

The setting was originally put in to avoid run away reads ... I know you can
set things so you can read > 1 million records ... although why someone
wouldn't run a program in batch for the extract is the question that comes to
my mind - even the  7.5 minutes of hour glass time you know you will take seems
to me to be excessive for most users patience ... are you using the right tool
for the job???

Best Regards,

Birket
Birket Foster
M. B. Foster Associates .. the 1-800-ANSWERS people!
Supplying DataExpress w/cross-platform ODBCLink Option (16&32)( 3K,9K&NT)
EC/EDI(3k,9k,NT) Phone (613) 448-2333 or (613) 448-2588 (FAX)
(See our website at WWW.MBFOSTER.COM)