HP3000-L Archives

September 1998, Week 1

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 22:55:58 -0400
Stan Sieler asked (as several others similarly did):

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Just curious...why are 8-day old (e.g. Aug 26) postings
> suddenly showing up on HP3000-L?
>
> I thought we switched over to the new gateway?

I will formally contact American University to try and get us completely
severed from their gateway.  Joe Geiser is still having trouble getting
his gateway to post bi-directionally, but I'll have faith he'll get it
going eventually, or if not, better no news-to-list postings than
duplicate news-to-list postings.

As mentioned before, these are "stale" postings.  Listserv can detect
duplicates via a checksum approach, but it only maintains the checksum
"cache" for 48 hours (I think), thus the really stale stuff gets
reposted.  It figures as soon as I turn off moderation, something like
this happens :-(

Meanwhile, readers of the newsgroup may want to direct their postings
and replies to the list and not the newsgroup, if you want your messages
to appear on the list!

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>