HP3000-L Archives

August 1998, Week 4

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 17:04:57 -0400
 In <v03130306b20b7f572fb4@[192.168.1.13]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> Today I encountered a long-time (still runs a series 52) HP3000 user who is
> dangerously close to abandoning the 3000. The user would like to move to a
> new Series 9xx box but, due to application upgrade costs that are 2 to 3
> times that of the new system, they are investigating Unix, NT, etc.
>
> I have seen a lot of traffic on this list about enticing new users to the
> HP3000, and the efforts that will entail.  At the same time, we are
> losing existing sites due to certain vendors' myopic financial agendas. I
> estimate the cost of attracting new business to be orders of magnitude
> greater than what it takes to retain existing customers.
>
> As our (the HP3000-L devotees) interest in furthering the platform
> continues to grow perhaps we, in the software solutions business, should
> adopt a more global view to not only attract new business to the HP3000 but
> to also help retain those already on the HP3000.

I suspect it's probably no coincidence that those vendors with "decision
makers" who participate in (or at least actively monitor) the hp3000-l are
probably mostly the same set of vendors that *don't* charge outrageous/obscene
upgrade fees based on hardware; the ones that try to give something back to
the "community" (as opposed to milking it as a cash-cow til it dries up).

I guess that's a long winded version of "you're preachin to the choir". ;-)

            -Chris Bartram

(remove 'nospam' for personal replies)