HP3000-L Archives

August 1998, Week 4

From:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 11:33:13 -0400
Greetings to all,

 I have been working on a Computer/Network User Handbook, (it is not meant
to be HP3000 or any OS specific), in it I have a list of "General Rules for
Driving on the Information Superhighway" one of them is attached. BTW, I am
looking for beta testers of this Handbook.

Some of these legal issues also apply to 'orphaned disk drives'.

Rule #3) Permanent deletion of files and data is only a relative reality.

When you delete a file on a computer the actual data is very rarely gone for
good. In fact most systems simply move the file to a holding area for
deletion after a backup is made. At a higher level most EMAIL systems do the
same thing with individual messages. Thus files and messages are never
actually deleted, just moved to an archive media. Restoration from backup or
archive media is a simple task. Once restored, the files can be easily
searched for keywords using search engines similar to those found on web
servers.

Above all, remember that EMAIL messages are discoverable in a legal
proceeding, and creates a timeline of events and decisions. Be especially
cautious of CYA (Cover Your Rear) types of EMAIL. When taken out of context
they can be very damaging in future legal actions. For example: I just want
to go on record saying that we should not use parts from supplier XYZ
because they couldn t meet our tolerances. These types of messages, once
discovered, will make the case for the opposition in a liability action or
lawsuit.

Even on your PC when you delete a file or on Windows 95 clear out the
wastebasket (most EMAIL client programs store messages as files), only the
directory entry for the file is marked for deletion. Even at this level it
is possible to undelete a file. The bottom line is simply to assume that
every file you create and every email message you compose will probably
outlive you and your great-great grandchildren.