HP3000-L Archives

August 1998, Week 4

From:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 17:53:50 -0400
Gavin Scott wrote:

> After trying to order the 1997 edition of the TurboImage manual and
> receiving the 1994 edition, we escalated the problem with the people
> at HP Parts Direct (+1 800-227-8164).  A manager there called us back
> to say that attempts to order a specific manual version are rejected
> by the computer, the 1994 version of the manual is all you can get, and
> there's nothing further they can do for us.
>
> This should be escalated right up to Harry Sterling.  This happened
years ago.  The scenario is as follows:

1.  The inventory at HP is sent out on a FIFO basis per HP
policy.
2.  CURRENT (still valid part numbers) inventory is NOT thrown
away.
3.  The part number is the same, even though the part (manual)
    is not.
4.  Ergo you get the old manual until the supply is exhausted.
5.  it doesn't take s rocket scientist to see that the above
won't
    work when it comes to manuals, but ordinary common sense
    sometimes escapes HP.
6.  The solution, given the above, is to change the manual number
    for each revision.
7.  OR to do the obvious, and when a new manual comes out.  Treat
   the revision number as part of the part number and recycle the
old.

I have personally refused to pay for an old manual when I got
one.  After
a few go-rounds, they relented.  I then waited until the new
revision
was being shipped and got my manual.

Maybe the bumper sticker should say "the 3000 lives - and so do
old its
old manuals".

Nick D.