HP3000-L Archives

August 1998, Week 4

From:
Tony Furnivall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Furnivall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:17:25 -0500
Thanks to Gary Biggs and Jerry Fochtman for the answer to my question about
process re-activation. Of course when I got it right, the system also got it
right (ain't that always the case!)

Interesting example of trying to track stuff around using LaserROM, though.
The reference to the LOAD parameter for CREATEPROCESS was somewhat
tangential in its description (optional, if used it's the same as the LOAD
flags in CREATE), which led me to assume (!!!) that this referred to such
things as library search , load map, etc. Silly me. However, the only
hard-copy that I had (Process Management Pogrammer's Guide) didn't mention
the Load Flags in any sot of meaningful manner. (There is a very tortuous
path form an example of CREATE which, once you know the trick, allows you to
see the same capability in CREATEPROCESS).

Why am I so concerned? Because as the number of new MPE/iX systems grows
(and it is already!) the number of 'innocent, naive' programmers will also
increase, and when they come across something like this, they may not be so
lucky as to have access to you guys!

Maybe we need to look at ALL the manuals for MPE, now that it seems to be on
somewhat of a roll, again.

Tony "Yeah, I did this all the time 10 years ago" Furnivall