HP3000-L Archives

August 1998, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:18:20 EDT
Bruce writes:

> Wirt writes:
>  >There is much more to say on this subject...
>
>  No, there isn't.
>
>  Much of this so-called discussion is unadulterated tribalism, mixed with
>  unsupported statements of "fact" that are in fact erroneous.

Let me say at the outset that I could easily be wrong about many of the things
that I posted yesterday, but given the current state of affairs -- and
honestly attempting to do the best that we might for our customers -- I'll
stand by what I wrote. If the world changes radically in the near-term future,
I would be pleased to change my recommendations.

>  PS. I think Wirt's post is just sour grapes because Apple dropped
>  PostScript fax -- see <http://www.optc.com/Webbot/Thread5261.html#PSFax>
>  for his earlier comments :-).

Nonsense. I'm old enough and adult enough to tolerate good systems and good
designs going by the wayside. Postscript Fax was a very good idea, and I am
sorry to see it disappear, but we can cope with its loss. We've done it for a
hundred other things that we've thought were particularly good ideas in the
past and which we've actively supported.

Clearly, I'm not making myself understood. I really don't have an axe to
grind, a dog in this fight, or a hand to play. If I stand up and praise the
Macintosh at great length for the quality of system it is, I'm attacked
relentlessly by Denys. If I say that there doesn't exist enough difference
between a PC and a Mac nowadays so that a normal business user can readily
tell the difference, I'm insulted by Bruce.

It's a good thing that I've got such a thick hide, because I consider them
both very good friends of mine.

Wirt Atmar