HP3000-L Archives

August 1998, Week 4

Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 11:34:13 -0700
Wirt writes:
>There is much more to say on this subject...

No, there isn't.

Much of this so-called discussion is unadulterated tribalism, mixed with
unsupported statements of "fact" that are in fact erroneous. If you're
trying to make a platform decision, do the intelligent thing rather than
the instinctive thing: talk to someone who uses the platforms you're
considering, and ask them questions -- *specific* questions -- that
relate to your own needs. Ask "How do you know?" Ask it early and often.

Wirt's line of argument is uncomfortably close to the statement made by
my college Systems Analysis instructor when he gave me a D on my systems
recommendation project 20 years ago. I had recommended an HP 3000 for the
hypothetical medium-sized manufacturing concern. He could find nothing
specific wrong with either my facts or my analysis, but insisted that IBM
was the only rational choice because it was the biggest, and that should
have been the most important factor. Well, up yours, Mr. Damien, wherever
you are.

-- Bruce

PS. I think Wirt's post is just sour grapes because Apple dropped
PostScript fax -- see <http://www.optc.com/Webbot/Thread5261.html#PSFax>
for his earlier comments :-).

- B

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
btoback AT optc.com                |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Mail sent to [log in to unmask] will be inspected for a
fee of US$250. Mailing to said address constitutes agreement to
pay, including collection costs.