HP3000-L Archives

August 1998, Week 3

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 15:38:28 -0700
Bruce writes:

> $.07  After working at Burroughs for two years, I started working
>       with HP3000s.  Still remember asking in the Programmer class
>       about database restart, recovery, and rollback.  (This is
>       1982, BTW).  The poor instructor said something like, "Restart?
>       Rollback???  No system can do that!"

I went from B6700/B7800 to HP 3000 in 1979.  After a year on
STORE, I joined the IMAGE lab and led the development of Intrinsic
Rollback, and monitored the design of Transaction Rollback (never
implemented), and designed Online Backup (also never implemented).

Part of that work was inspired by knowing about Burroughs DMSII!
The main designer of DMSII (and WorkingSet) was Roy Guck, a very
Fred White-like guy (Roy also happened to be my assistant scoutmaster).
Strange parallels!

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html