HP3000-L Archives

August 1998, Week 3

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 14:17:01 -0700
I know what you mean. The word size on these CDC machines was 60 bits,
making them popular for scientific calculations; but this also meant you
had 10 6-bit "bytes" per word! I'm fairly sure that's what we called
them in the early 70s. Oh yes, and octal representation, which helped
when I started working on the HP3000 in 1977 after several years on the
dark side in the land of hex.

John Burke