HP3000-L Archives

August 1998, Week 3

From:
Dirickson Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dirickson Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 11:49:17 -0700
        <<I too, will not defend MS here - but I will defend the OS.  I have
one NT server that has been running since I brought it up, back in March.  It
has not burped yet, and still hums along quite nicely thank you.  Does NT
have problems?  Sure.  So does Unix, so does Mac/OS, and so does MPE, OK?
Every damned OS has patches to fix things.  To pick on one is stupid.>>

Plus there's the "obvious" fact that if NT had hourly/daily BSODs, lock-ups,
and spontaneous reboots on all/most/even a significant percentage of its
installations, MS would not have sold the ten or twelve million copies of it
that have, in fact, been sold. It doesn't lessen the pain of the people who
do have these problems, but it just doesn't make sense to think that most
users of NT have these problems. As was pointed out earlier, there pretty
much has to be a configuration or hardware problem, or maybe a non-standard
driver, involved in these all-the-time problem children. Like others, I have
NT installed, on four machines in my case, and I reboot a given machine when
I need to do so for some specific reason, like changing hardware or making a
configuration change that is not supported on the fly.

Steve