HP3000-L Archives

August 1998, Week 3

From:
Lee Gunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee Gunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 08:47:14 -0700
It's no longer necessary to dedicate one or more drives as dump volumes;
however, I think it is prudent to keep these as part or all of a non-system
volume set.

Lee Gunter          [log in to unmask]

From: [log in to unmask] on 08/16/98 10:31 AM

Please respond to [log in to unmask]

To:   [log in to unmask]
cc:    (bcc: Lee Gunter/BCBSO/TBG)
Subject:  Re[2]: Auto reboot? (without mem dump?)

 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]
writes:
> In addition to tips regarding just a START [NO]RECOVERY in the
> AUTOBOOT file, you might probably also want to consider setting
> up AutoRestart/iX to perform just a MiniDump i.e. basically a
> stack trace of the last process on the CPU. It is written into
> a (small) disc file and might be helpful to get a better idea
> of the system abort.
>
> Don't recall the MiniDump details by heart, but I think it was
> introduced with 5.5 and is documented somewhere in the respective
> Communicator. I think it can even be configured to select the
> dump type (none/mini/full) based on the SA number(s).
There seems to be a complete manual on Autorestart/iX on the Laserrom,
but it also seems to be a requirement that you *dedicate* a disc drive
just to DUMPs (though yes, it does give you the option of full dumps or
"mini" dumps).
BTW; I did just test the autostart functionality as detailed by Stan and
Gilles (thanks!) and it works like a charm.
               -Chris Bartram