HP3000-L Archives

August 1998, Week 3

From:
Jim Kramer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Kramer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 09:23:23 -0800
The DSEM option is interesting.  I hadn't heard of it before.  Does anyone know
why it should be an option; that is, is there a reason why one would disable
it?

Jim

> Date:          Thu, 20 Aug 1998 08:40:57 -0700
> From:          Michael L Gueterman <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:       Re: "SUB-DATABASES"
> To:            [log in to unmask]

>   I haven't looked at the Communicator article yet, but could
> it possibly be talking about the use of the 'DSEM' setting in
> DBUTIL?  If so, then what this means is that within any Image
> database, all datasets that are logically related (via set paths)
> are considered an atomic unit when placing a lock on the
> associated master dataset.  If a dataset that is not part of that
> unit, then the lock will not affect it (as it would have in the
> past since all masters went through a single semaphore).
>   For most databases, this could increase performance in a heavy
> update environment where multiple datasets are being updated by
> different processes simultaneously.  This assuming they are not
> part of the same "sub database".  The performance increase would
> come by virtue of not having to wait on a lock that really wasn't
> necessary in that circumstance anyway.
>
> Regards,
> Michael L Gueterman
> Easy Does It Technologies
> Allaire Alliance Partner
> email: [log in to unmask]
> http://www.editcorp.com
> voice: (888) 858-EDIT -or- (509) 943-5108
> fax:   (509) 946-1170
> --

Jim Kramer /Lund Performance Solutions
Director of Research and Development
phone: (541) 926-3800  fax:   (541) 926-7723
email: [log in to unmask]    home:  [log in to unmask]
http://www.lund.com